With summer in full swing, it doesn’t take long for your car’s carpet to begin showing signs of the season’s activities. Between picking the kids up from soccer fields and baseball diamonds, bringing the dog to the lake for a swim, and spontaneous outings with the family, your car’s carpet can quickly become a visual memoir of all the summer’s excursions.
As fond as those memories may be, that doesn’t mean you want them to be embedded into your car’s interior! Lucky for you, cleaning your car’s carpets is a pretty painless process with the right tools. Here’s how to clean your car’s carpets.
1. Pick up car’s interior. The first thing you’ll want to do is pick up all small and large objects off the floor of your car. Even loose pennies and stray Legos are important to get up off your carpets before you begin. Try to get your floors as clear as possible!
2. Remove Mats. Next, you’ll want to carefully lift out your car mats, being careful not to spill any crumbs or dirt until you’re outside the car. Then, shake out your mats over a trash can, using your hand to wipe all excess dirt off.
3. Vacuum carpets. Once the mats are out of your car, vacuum the entire carpet, reaching under seats, around pedals, and getting all other crevices. Now’s also a good time to vacuum out cup holders and door handles if you have accumulated crumbs and dirt in those places as well.
4. Clean carpets. Now that your carpets are completely vacuumed, stains and embedded dirt will be easier to spot. Dab stains with your soapy water, using a rag or paper towel to work up dirt and other substances.
5. Remove deep stains. For more stubborn stains, after dabbing with soapy water, apply your carpet cleaner or detergent to the stain and allow the substance to sit for about 10 minutes. Then, take your soft-bristled brush and slowly work the stain with the brush in a circular motion.
6. Rinse your carpets. Rinse your newly washed carpets with a dampened rag, pulling up as much soap as possible. Try not to get the carpet too wet–the goal is to lift the loosened dirt and soap, not soak the carpets!
7. Let your car dry out. For at least two hours, allow your car to sit outside in the sun with all the doors open so that your carpets can dry out. It’s extremely important that your carpets dry all the way before using your car again to keep mildew from forming.
1. Vacuum your mats. While your car’s carpets are drying out, now’s a good time to clean off your mats. First, vacuum off the mats to get up excess dirt.
2. Wash mat undersides. Next, flip the mats over to wash the plastic undersides. Using a rag and soapy water, scrub the back side of the mats. If they are extremely dirty, use the soft-bristled brush to scrub off stuck-on dirt and other substances. Rinse off with water or a hose.
3. Clean mat carpets. Flip your mats over, and repeat the same process that you did to wash your car’s carpets. Use carpet cleaner or detergent to lift stubborn stains, and use a soft-bristled brush to work up the dirt in a circular motion. Finally, rinse excess dirt and soap with a dampened rag.
4. Let mats dry. Taking a dry rag, press down on the rinsed mats to lift as much excess water as you can. Allow your mats to air dry outside, hanging them over a clothesline or chair back.
Be sure you let your carpets and mats dry completely before reassembling your car. One way to tell if your carpets are completely dry is by pressing your hand hard against the carpet and keeping it there for five seconds or so. If your hand is damp after doing so, your carpets need more time to dry out. Once both your car’s interior carpets and the mats are completely dry, place your mats back in their place inside the car and feel free to close the doors.
And there you have it! Freshly cleaned car carpets, ready to take on the next summer adventure. While cleaning your car’s carpets on your own is fairly easy, sometimes we simply don’t have the time to take a whole afternoon to devote to the process!
If the DIY process sounds unrealistic for you, then dropping your car off for an interior detail is always a great option, too. That way, you get to enjoy the beauty of fresh, clean carpets without having to squeeze it into your busy schedule!
At Premier, we believe our mission is to create happiness through professional detailing and our purpose is to exhibit a philosophy of servanthood! If you have any questions, feel free to contact us or visit our website. Don’t forget to check us out on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as well!